Today, we’re getting to know Kelly Daniels a little bit better! This is part of a series of interviews we will be having with KIKI members. If you would like to be interviewed go to our interview page and answer a few questions!
Website/ Blog: www.kellydaniels.co.za
Facebook Page: KellysPhotography
1. When and how did the photography bug bite you?
I took over my parents old camera when I was about 13, they upgraded and I got to have the old one. I remember thinking I would be the coolest kid in school with this big fancy camera. I cant even remember what it was or what make it was but I do remember taking way too many pictures of my friends with it and my Mom getting cross with me for always having to go and get the spool developed. I lost the interest as I became a teenager I didn’t want to stand out in the crowd anymore it wasn’t cool so I no longer was interested in it, boys were far more interesting. About 6 years ago I found my lost love affair with my camera and took it up again, got myself some new cameras along the way and now I am a work from home mom that loves to learn new techniques and soak up as much information as I can about photography
2. Your house is on fire, your family, equipment and pets are safe, but you only have time to take 2 items, what would it be?
I don’t think I would go back for anything really. Stuff can be replaced.
3. If you could have a conversation with anyone about anything, who would it be and what would you talk about
This is a good question, I would have to say I would love to sit down and chat with Eve and ask her what was she thinking eating that apple? No seriously it would probably be my Grandfather, I never met him and I think he would’ve been amazing to have known.
4. What can you talk about for hours? (apart from photography)
My child, typical I know.
5. What makes you really angry?
Stupid people who don’t think before they talk or do!
6. You help an old lady load her groceries in her car; only to find out she is extremely wealthy. She wants to buy you something to say ‘thanks’. What would you choose?
Gosh what wouldn’t I choose but I probably wouldn’t take anything seriously I’m that cliche, I would hope that someone would carry my groceries for me one day when I’m old and wealthy.
7. What subject matter do you love shooting?
Bumps, I love a pregnant woman.
8. If you could only take one lens on every shoot (even if you don’t currently own it), which one would it be and why?
Canon 85mm F1.2
9. If you had all the time in the world to do one photography project, what would it be?
Would I have all the equipment in the world too? I would love to do a round the world trip getting all the not seen before shots or maybe a lifetime of photos of my family with me in the photos for a change.
10. Have you ever had one of those embarrassing moments at a shoot? Would you tell us what happened and how you survived?
Have not yet had an embarrassing moment on a shoot but I’m sure I will one day survive one. In my personal life JA I have had plenty but you said on a shoot and I’m not sharing my personal ones.
11. What music do you listen to when you have to get through long hours of admin and editing?
I listen to a lot of Feist, Florence and the Machine a little bit of Dave Matthews and the Radio I like the company of the DJ’s.
12. Which aspect of your craft are you the least and most confident in?
Flash, I have just done a course on Flash and how to use it properly I would have to say that is where I lack in the confidence department the most, but I’m hoping to cure this.
13. When you have to make big decisions, which do you prefer? “Flipping a coin”, “Comparing the pro’s and con’s” or “going with the flow”.
I just make the decision or phone my husband depends on what kind of decision it is.
14. If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
Greece, I don’t know what it is about that place but buy me ticket and I’m there.
15. Give a link to one of your recent shoots that you absolutely loved shooting? Why did you enjoy it so much?
I recently did a very small intimate wedding here in Durban I haven’t blogged it yet but it is so far my favorite, keep an eye on my blog for it