Today, we’re getting to know Gina Diaz a little bit better! This is part of a series of interviews we will be having with KIKI members. If you would like to be interviewed go to our interview page and answer a few questions!
Facebook Page: Facebook/ginadiazphotograhy
1. When and how did the photography bug bite you?
As far back as I can remember, I’ve always had a passion for photography. As a child, I watched my grandfather film and photograph his family. He’d set-up the home projector and we’d all gather in the living room and watch the movies he had just made.It wasn’t until my late teens, my boyfriend, now husband bought me my very own camera. Despite it being a point & shoot, it was exactly what I needed in my hands at that moment. It felt good to freely photograph whatever I wanted. However I wanted. Thinking back, I didn’t have the luxury of web-sharing my images to seek the approval from my peers. It didn’t even matter which of my images were great or which ones technically sucked. I didn’t worry about someone “getting it” if I took creative liberties. Honestly, almost no one ever even saw them. But I loved them.That was over 27 years ago.
2. Your house is on fire, your family, equipment and pets are safe, but you only have time to take 2 items, what would it be?
cell phone. document box
3. If you could have a conversation with anyone about anything, who would it be and what would you talk about?
Eve. To ask her why she ate the apple.
4. What can you talk about for hours? (apart from photography)
My faith and love for Jesus.
5. What makes you really angry?
People who feel entitled to everything without having to earn it by honest means. I know not every person is capable to take care and earn a decent living for themselves, but for those who can and don’t. ewww!
6. You help an old lady load her groceries in her car; only to find out she is extremely wealthy. She wants to buy you something to say ‘thanks’. What would you choose?
Hopefully we’re near a bakery, I’m always up for a cup of coffee & snickerdoodle.
7. What subject matter do you love shooting?
8. If you could only take one lens on every shoot (even if you don’t currently own it), which one would it be and why?
Pentax 35Ltd f2.8
9. If you had all the time in the world to do one photography project, what would it be?
Court house weddings for strangers. Their day should be documented with at least one lovely photo and I’d like to be able to do that as an ongoing project.
10. Have you ever had one of those embarrassing moments at a shoot? Would you tell us what happened and how you survived?
Not yet. But I know it will be good if it’s taking this long to happen. (eeks)
11. What music do you listen to when you have to get through long hours of admin and editing?
12. Which aspect of your craft are you the least and most confident in?
Least: off camera flash. Most: portraits
13. When you have to make big decisions, which do you prefer? “Flipping a coin”, “Comparing the pro’s and con’s” or “going with the flow”.
Oh, I’d like to say “Flipping a coin”. But I’m the annoying and boring type who “Compares the pro’s and con’s.” Watching me trying to decide what to order from a menu is painstaking. Really, it’s such a big decision: soup or salad? hmmmm…..
14. If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
‘d travel in my home state of California. Born and raised here and have yet to get through it all. Life is busy. Someday I’ll get to all the places that people from around the world come to see.
15. Give a link to one of your recent shoots that you absolutely loved shooting? Why did you enjoy it so much?
I loved this shoot with my friends Celina & Bryan. They had just been married only a few weeks and called me to take photos for their first Christmas together and Christmas cards. They were so relaxed and up for anything I asked them to do. It was truly a love session.