Today, we’re getting to know Nadine Aucamp a little bit better! This is part of a series of interviews we will be having with KIKI members. If you would like to be interviewed go to our interview page and answer a few questions!
Website/ Blog: www.nadineaucamp.blogspot.com
Facebook Page: Nadine Aucamp Photography
1. When and how did the photography bug bite you?
To be honest, there was no bug that had bitten me. I know it is a scandal but studying photography was a choice I made and after being properly introduced to my lover – known as photography – I could not imagine life without it.
2. Your house is on fire, your family, equipment and pets are safe, but you only have time to take 2 items, what would it be?
The cliche of a photo album and I have a personal note book with scripture quotes that have a direct connection to my personal growth in life.
3. If you could have a conversation with anyone about anything, who would it be and what would you talk about?
There really is not one single person I would want to single out and have a specific conversation with. Every day I discover people that I would like to meet and talk to and learn from. Everybody has something valid to share. But if I HAVE to name one person at this moment in life, I would like to meet Lara Jade. Of coarse one of my MANY photographer crushes, and we will simply talk for days about her photography :)
4. What can you talk about for hours? (apart from photography)
You got me there, all I have is photography on the brain. I guess I can talk just about anything. I am an easy talker so “skiet met ‘n tietel” and I’ll talk for hours!
5. What makes you really angry?
People that expect to have their photographs ready in a day – like I don’t have anything else going on. But to be honest, my road rage comes before that. Not a good quality, I know, but I really believe it runs in my family!
6. You help an old lady load her groceries in her car; only to find out she is extremely wealthy. She wants to buy you something to say ‘thanks’. What would you choose?
I would settle for a hug, but if she insists I would enjoy a simple chocolate :)
7. What subject matter do you love shooting?
EVERYTHING. After 2years of photography I have not found one subject matter I do not like to photograph.
8. If you could only take one lens on every shoot (even if you don’t currently own it), which one would it be and why?
F1.2 50mm! No questions about it!
9. If you had all the time in the world to do one photography project, what would it be?
Photographing interesting characters on the streets of South Africa, a sort of documentary. I know it sounds not that original but it would be something that I will find completely interesting.
Although, the other day I thought it would be quite a collection to photograph what people look like while brushing their teeth, because I know I probably look like a rabbit dog :) haha
10. Have you ever had one of those embarrassing moments at a shoot? Would you tell us what happened and how you survived?
The most embarrassing moment would have to be when I was on a chair in front of the entire family (about 50people) and my shoot sak lifted my dress at the one side. They laughed at me, (and me not really knowing what they are laughing at) till after the shoot when the bride told me. But to be honest I don’t really get too embarrassed because I tend to laugh it off.
11. What music do you listen to when you have to get through long hours of admin and editing?
Mostly 5fm. It keeps me up to date with a variety of music and news, and hearing other people talking helps me to not feel alone and isolated in front of my computer.
12. Which aspect of your craft are you the least and most confident in?
Least confident: photographing groups (anything with more than two people) I feel awkward and don’t know how to place all the people accurately and creatively. Most confident: Portraits. With my f1.4 50mm lens on I am unstoppable photographing force :)
13. When you have to make big decisions, which do you prefer? “Flipping a coin”, “Comparing the pro’s and con’s” or “going with the flow”.
A little bit of everything. When it comes to big decisions I like to exhaust all options and angles but usually find the answer at the one and only Kiki Facebook group!
14. If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
The WHOLE of South Africa. I love our country very much and I know there is a lot of hidden treasure that I would love to discover. I don’t need to go far to enjoy myself and to find beauty.
15. Give a link to one of your recent shoots that you absolutely loved shooting? Why did you enjoy it so much?
I am not a wedding photographer but still do a few weddings and with this one I went into a total high! I loved the people as much as I loved the location and ended up delaying the couple’s arrival time at the reception. Not very profesional I know, but I could not stop myself! I could have carried on for hours without stopping, I felt like a kid having the time of my life :)