Today, we’re getting to know Kim Jansen van Rensburg a little bit better! This is part of a series of interviews we will be having with KIKI members. If you would like to be interviewed go to our interview page and answer a few questions!
Website/ Blog: www.kimjansenvanrensburg.com
Facebook Page: kimjansenvanrensburgphoto
1. When and how did the photography bug bite you?
I have always enjoyed photography. From small. I studied Graphic Design and also had photography as a subject. Still used film in those days. After I studied I went and worked on the cruise ships as a ship’s photographer. We sailed mainly the Caribbean and Alaska…Very “McDonald’s” photography, but got to build a small portfolio of my personal work. When I returned to SA, it never occurred to me to that I could make a business of my photography. It was only at the start of 2010 that I started my business. And it has grown one step at a time..
2. Your house is on fire, your family, equipment and pets are safe, but you only have time to take 2 items, what would it be?
The responsible thing would be to remove all of Johan’s rifles and the gas bottles.. right?
3. If you could have a conversation with anyone about anything, who would it be and what would you talk about?
Well at the moment it would be Jonas Peterson.. Did I say I’m stretching my “how can I afford it” elastic??
4. What can you talk about for hours? (apart from photography)
5. What makes you really angry?
Ignorance and animal cruelty.. and when the damn power cuts off!
6. You help an old lady load her groceries in her car; only to find out she is extremely wealthy. She wants to buy you something to say ‘thanks’. What would you choose?
Cappuccino! Of course! What were you thinking??
7. What subject matter do you love shooting?
Two people in love..
8. If you could only take one lens on every shoot (even if you don’t currently own it), which one would it be and why?
The 50mm 1,4f
9. If you had all the time in the world to do one photography project, what would it be?
I would love to do one of those 365 day projects! Each day with a theme… I tried it once and then just got too busy with other stuff.
10. Have you ever had one of those embarrassing moments at a shoot? Would you tell us what happened and how you survived?
Uhm, no not yet.. Wait, I remember this one thing. I assisted Rensche Mari at a wedding once. It was a family wedding (this is important). And to get everyone to smile she would tell them all to say “Poenaniiiiii”. I wasn’t really sure what it meant, but it got some great smiles! So when I had my next wedding, and without really thinking much about it I asked everyone to say the “P” word. Everyone kinda looked at me, frowned, half unsure I quickly changed back to “Cheese”. It now appears to be the safest.. I only found out about 2 months back what it meant.. Blush!
11. What music do you listen to when you have to get through long hours of admin and editing?
Channel 101 Adult Contemporary… Or I switch to the Hallmark Channel and listen to all the drama.
12. Which aspect of your craft are you the least and most confident in?
The technical. Don’t tell anyone!
13. When you have to make big decisions, which do you prefer? “Flipping a coin”, “Comparing the pro’s and con’s” or “going with the flow”.
Asking my husband.
14. If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
America!! Starting in NY and getting a candy-apple back top (like in Lady Antebellum’s song) and driving cross country to Seattle!
15. Give a link to one of your recent shoots that you absolutely loved shooting? Why did you enjoy it so much?
These two were (and are) so in love and it came out so evident in their photos. And of course the yummy light!