Today, we’re getting to know Luca Barausse a little bit better! This is part of a series of interviews we will be having with KIKI members. If you would like to be interviewed go to our interview page and answer a few questions!
Website/ Blog: www.lucaphotography.co.za
1. When and how did the photography bug bite you?
I was 6 or 7 when I saw my dad’s old school SLR and I just loved it! It was so professional, I loved the weight of it, but it was the sound that got me. I would look through the view finder and shoot blanks as walked around the house.It wasn’t until much later, having fallen in love with a Spanish girl and having moved to Madrid, Spain (as you do), I decided to study something, and not being good at Spanish at the time thought I’d take something a bit hands on, enter Photography! I bought an old analogue SLR Canon AE-1 and when I fired it for the first time my childhood memories came rushing back to me. Alternative ending: While studying in Madrid, I was working in the dark room late one night, developing black and white photos for an assignment due the next day. I was alone but had that weird feeling that someone or (dramatic pause) something was in the room with me. I wanted to turn the light on but I knew that would ruin my whole project, so I pushed the bad thoughts away and started signing to myself, quietly. Unbeknown to me a little spider had fallen into the developer (the chemical used in the dark room), and became a photography spider AKA the photography BUG and bit me. The end.
2. Your house is on fire, your family, equipment and pets are safe, but you only have time to take 2 items, what would it be?
Some marshmallows and my tent…because I love camping and that way i’ll have somewhere to sleep that night.
3. If you could have a conversation with anyone about anything, who would it be and what would you talk about?
Mmmm probably myself. Just so I could hear if my voice sounds as silly as it does when I hear it in family home made videos.
4. What can you talk about for hours? (apart from photography)
Things that really make me angry. Conspiracies! what I would do with a TRILLION RAND! And travelling.
5. What makes you really angry?
Well would you look at that! The Canon vs. Nikon discussion. Get over yourselves people! Oh and when people say “ but you used photoshop…mmmm ja no….. thats like cheating like it’s so un real and fake and” and punch you in the face!
6. You help an old lady load her groceries in her car; only to find out she is extremely wealthy. She wants to buy you something to say ‘thanks’. What would you choose?
I’ll have a 65ft yacht thanks ….oh and here is your bag of carrots.
7. What subject matter do you love shooting?
People. I Love capturing them in the moment. Gigs are perhaps my favourite.
8. If you could only take one lens on every shoot (even if you don’t currently own it), which one would it be and why?
Canon lens 24-70mm. I love that range and it’s a killer lens.
9. If you had all the time in the world to do one photography project, what would it be?
Im willing to share a lot, but your ninja mind games won’t get me. Im keeping this one to myself
10. Have you ever had one of those embarrassing moments at a shoot? Would you tell us what happened and how you survived?
I was doing a naked shoot and in order to make my subject comfortable she asked if I could strip down too. Nice lens she said. Blush.
11. What music do you listen to when you have to get through long hours of admin and editing?
Best question yet! The National (High Violet). OK GO. The Back Keys (el camino). The La Els (proudly Durban). I have a secret mix of oldies too.
12. Which aspect of your craft are you the least and most confident in?
Oh tough. I’m never completely happy with my work but always confident of it.
13. When you have to make big decisions, which do you prefer? “Flipping a coin”, “Comparing the pro’s and con’s” or “going with the flow”.
Im definitely one of those…make a little table of pros and cons type of person…although i do have a yes/no coin in my wallet at all times just in case!
14. If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
South America…..because oh my goddness. Its heaven.
15. Give a link to one of your recent shoots that you absolutely loved shooting? Why did you enjoy it so much?
Well I just lunched my blog, so this is my favourite public shoot of Paris. I’m a bit of a nomad so travelling is a need for me. I love exploring and experiencing things. I tried to not do shoot typical shoot on Paris cos I thought it’s been covered. So I just shoot what appealed to me, so this shoot is not of Paris but my experience of it…but I have more coming so watch this space.